SA30 build 969, version 1.51 (beta)

@arcam_paul you mentioned some bug tracker template before. Would be good to have it, so that we can either attach forms here, or send them to some email address you provide us. This would definitely help with tracking the issues.
You’re right it’s hard to keep track in this thread, but that will always be the case if issues are reported like this, in one thread.

But issue was, that encoder was slow only when setting up Max Volume. In other places (including setting “Max NET Volume” it was ok.

But Dirac issue reported by @Ken and me (with Roon and analogue sources) is by far most serious one in this FW version.

Thanks for the reminder, I’ve created an Issue Template here.

I’ve disabled debug logging on my unit, and all max volumes track much quicker, so don’t be too concerned with that.

OK, I reloaded 969 last night after verifying everything returned to normal in 867. Completely losing Dirac function in 969 had me concerned. I have not reloaded any dirac filters as I want to listen for any distortion events with Roon. I know that once Dirac is enabled in Roon, not only is Roon very difficult to get working again with the SA 30, but the Dirac will not work with the analog inputs. Paul, 2 other bugs for you:

1. When coming out of sleep, I have net standby enabled, I click on a track in Roon and the Arcam wakes, but goes thru the whole boot up process. By the time it has finished booting, Roon has lost contact and I have to restart the track. This is new and maybe its just related to that logging function you have enabled…

2. When loading 867 via the web interface, the Arcam will show Net Updating , then the progress bar will begin its march across the bottom as the firmware loads, then the update complete, reboot cycle and when finished it returns to the last input used.
    But with 969, via the same method, the progress bar gets to half way through the second bar, then switches to the last input, then sits with no indication it is still loading firmware. In about the same time it takes to finish loading 867, it suddenly says update complete, and starts the rebooting, or maybe it reboots and then says update complete. I don’t remember. But the casual user my get confused and cycle the power before the FW is loaded. The bar progression is important to me. I have had too many programs appear to hang during installation and only the progress bar moving a bit reassures me all is well, to leave it alone.

Ken

Thanks, that would be useful to know if you can reproduce without Dirac.

I’m not sure why this would trigger a full boot, but the firmware isn’t my forte (I’m a mobile engineer), so I will pass this over to the right team.

It should show the progress bar, I’ll keep an eye out for this in future betas.

Actually I’m experiencing same behavior.
I’ve seen this before with v867, BUT only when using Home Assistant for IP control. In 867 it came back to normal after removing Arcam integration from HA. In 969 it keeps happening without any IP control.
Might be debugging related.
Is there any option for us to disable debugging temporarily to check?

Hello Paul,

Net Standby is actually already on in my unit.
I don’t have any automation software connecting via IP (I don’t even know why I could use it for actually ;))

Hi Paul,

The distortion bug seems to be fixed with Roon, without Dirac.
I have loaded 2 filters into the SA 30 Dirac slots. I did not try to engage Dirac with Roon as this caused a crash and reboot last time. Then Roon was very difficult to get working again. This time I went strait to STB analog source to which a Nakamichi Dragon is connected. Music plays in Direct mode. Music plays in non Direct mode with no curve. As soon as either Dirac filter is chosen, the audio is muted and does not play. Switching to no curve, music returns. Roon is working fine with no Dirac filter. So basically I can say with confidence that in 969 Dirac does not work in my Sa 30.

Ken

Environment

• SA30 v1.51, Net 969
  • One Dirac Curve loaded
    Acam tuner via PVR input

Brief description of the problem

When enabling a DIRAC curve, audio stops .

Steps to reproduce

• Begin listening to radio broadcast
  • Press AUDIO to select a curve
  • Select a curve

Expected behaviour

Audio should play, with the selected curve

Observed behaviour

Audio stops.

Hello @arcam_paul

Could you share a status on where we are regarding this new release?

Is it the one that will be public once mature enough or is our feedback/findings integrated for a later revision ?

Personally I would like to know more about the arc issue (does not power on the amplifier / sound drops / no sound after standby) : are they being really actively investigated ? When can we expect a resolution ?

Hi @alex_otb

Sure - we are looking at putting out another beta this week. We are currently testing this internally to make sure we’re happy with it before submitting it to the group. For your issues:

• CEC no power on - we are going to look into this this week. Engineering know what the issue is, and just need to implement the code necessary to support this.

• Dropouts - there is currently a significant effort towards this going on in parallel to these builds. I believe the first engineering alpha of this has arrived this week, but I haven’t tested it personally, so I’m not sure what the state is, and therefore cannot give a ime line.

I believe this next beta we’re currently testing fixes some of the issues reported in the last week, but until I get the release notes I can’t confirm which issues are fixed. I will list this when we announce the next build though.

1 Like

Great thanks for the feedback @arcam_paul !!!

We are not there yet, but I’m reassured we are in the right direction !

Quid regarding the « ARC - No sound after standby » ?

Fingers (and toes) crossed they will be solved quickly :slight_smile:

(Once all this ok, I will finally start enjoying my amplifier and play with Dirac ! :))

ARC no sound after standby is fixed in 1.51/969 we believe? Have you experienced otherwise?

Indeed,

It’s just the long delay between turning on the amplifier and having sound (45 seconds) that is disturbing but not a big deal after all…

Do you have Net Standby active?

Without Net Standby active the SA30 has to perform the full boot cycle which would take about that long. With Net Standby active it should be able to reconnect in less than 10 seconds based on our testing.

If you have Net Standby active and it’s still slow, let us know the TV manufacturer and model number and I’ll see if anyone internally can reproduce this.

I still have this problem whenever the SA30 is brought out of standby, and it’s not connected to the TV. Net standby is on.

Yours is a different issue Derek, which we’ve still been unable to reproduce. We are still trying.

Hello,

I do believe that netstandby is on.
I will check, perform another battery of test and will keep you posted :slight_smile:

Hi @arcam_paul
Do you have any news on that new beta?
I have survived till now, but to be honest v969 is too unstable. It reboots for me even during playback sometimes (using MusicLife at the moment, to be able to use Dirac).
Wondering now if i should wait for next beta, or go back to v867 for now.

I’m not sure when the date will be as there are another couple of changes we’d like to make so that the next beta provides a better experience.

By all means go back to 1.41/867 if you prefer!

Good evenning,

I confirm that net standby is on and I have no sound on ARC before a delay that varies up to 45 seconds. And this whatever if I turn the TV or the SA30 first.

My tv is a Samsung Q95T (Qled flagship of last year). The delay may also come from the TV.

In any case, it is still way better than in the v867 where I had no sound at all after standby :wink: