Remote control doesn't switch on SA30, ref#106

Scenario
Perform the following steps:

1. switch on Arcam SA30 version build 867 v1.41 is used
  2. press the red off button on the remote control (SA30 switches off, standby state = ok)
  3. press any other button on the remote control except the red off button, e.g. the volume up button
  4. press the red off button on the remote control

Actual result
The SA30 remains switched off.

Expected result
The SA30 should wake up.

Additional information
This problem only occurs if you have put the SA30 in standby mode.

I’m able to reproduce this issue, I detailed you scenario and I created a ticket for it.

The thing is that the remote control after having SA30 in standby also behaves tricky sometimes. It can take a press as a double press, but even if you press a button, for example, it can believe that it is another button you press. This is usually the button you pressed before. As if repeating the last keystroke, so to speak.

If I understand you correctly then there is another remote control issue which is unrelated to this one?

Yes, that’s right. The problems are probably related to each other, but it is an additional problem that I have when the SA30 is put on standby. I avoid this by turning off the SA30 with the main switch at present. If I do, the remote control works exactly as it should.

Does this also occur without switching off the SA30 with the red button on the remote control?

No I have never had that problem if I use the main switch, only if I put it on standby with the red button on the remote control.

I’m sorry, I have the feeling I’m completely lost. I’m trying to get an understanding what the additional problem is as you outlined in your post #3.

Could you please state the steps you executed, the expectation and actual result?

When I press the red button on the remote control and the SA30 goes down in standby and I then wake it up again with the red button, the remote control acts incorrectly (sometimes). It then happens that if I press e.g. the volume control on the remote control increases or decreases by several steps instead of one. If I then, for example, want to switch to another input, for example CD and press that button on the remote control, the remote control thinks that I instead press the last button I pressed, and the result of pressing CD can be that it instead raises the volume because it was the last button I pressed. This problem only occurs if I have put the SA30 in standby and never when I turn it off by pressing the power switch on the unit.

Thank you for outlining the issue. I tried to reproduce it. Here are my findings:

1. sometimes remote control commands are ignored, I believe this has to with the sort time between the two button presses on the remote control, refer to this issue: SA30 remote: commands are ignored, ref#7

2. I wasn’t able to reproduce following behaviour: “the result of pressing CD can be that it instead raises the volume because it was the last button I pressed”. I never experienced a command on the SA30 remote results in another command being executed on the SA30.

3. After I pressed CD button on the remote control the SA30 didn’t switch to the CD input.

In short the SA30 remote control path isn’t flawless. Although I wasn’t able to reproduce your additional problem outlined in your post #9 we managed to compile a reproducible issue in the topic start. Maybe after fixing this issue the remote control functionality will get better. I suggest to not further dig into this additional problem and wait until the issue in the topic start is fixed and try again.

I’ve just tried to replicate the initial post. I’ve put the SA30 into standby using the RED button. Any key press after that turns it back on! So I didn’t get a chance to try the red button to bring it out of standby.

Hi @derekc23, could you please confirm the behaviour you’re experiencing is happening with build 867? Thanks.

Yes, definitely the latest build. I’ve just confirmed this by using the VOL up button – it came straight back on!! The same is true (latest FW) of my TV and PVR remote controls turning it on!

The problem in the topic start is gone after I changed the batteries of the remote control.

If you’re paying attention to the backlight then you’ll notice the first keypress lights up the backlight for 5 seconds, the other sequence of keypresses the backlight is lit up for a fraction of a second. Next a little background light flash is noticeable.