SA30 build 1306, version 1.72

I’ve just seen a new file has been placed:

www.arcamupdate.co.uk/beta/SA30/

@arcam_mark any update what that is?

I don’t know if anyone has tracked down the source before and if it’s been clarified exactly what the issue is, but it’s most likely about a problem that SoundStageNetwork editors encountered during measurements.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2630:arcam-sa30-integrated-amplifier-dac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Because of this unusual high-frequency behavior with the analog input when fed through the SA30 and digitized, especially when considering Arcam’s claim that the ADC operates at 32bit/192kHz, we brought it to the attention of the Arcam engineers. They acknowledged the issue and provided us with a fix (net version 1306), which, as of this writing, is not yet available to the public at large. With the fix, the frequency response was re-measured and yielded the following results:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. I had not seen a full set of measurements on the SA 30. Impressive. No wonder it can drive the snot out of my Sonus Faber Extremas. And no wonder it sounds so good doing so. The latest beta firmware opens up more streaming goodies.

Ken

1 Like

Thanks a lot @maciekb for the link. Indeed this is most comprehensive set of measurements for SA30 i’ve seen. It’s actually one of the best i have ever seen. ASR, that is quoted in many places so often, should learn from this. They even measured frequency response with real load, instead of dummy load!
For me this one was actually very interesting:

To be honest i’m a bit surprised, that author was surprised by the “double knee” :slight_smile:
It actually very nicely shows class G in operation, and we finally know up to what power SA30 is working in class A. It’s a whopping 40W for 4 Ohm load, and ~27W for 8 Ohm. Nice. It means mine is always working in class A :slight_smile:
In general not all measurements are perfect, but for a “budget” all-in-one device i would say it’s still very, very good.

Edit: Actually sent email to Diego, who made the measurement. Let’s see if and what he will comment on that :slight_smile:

Edit 2: Seems Diego is very responsive :slight_smile: He will add a note about class G to this graph, so that it’s clear from where this second “knee” is coming from :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Felix for pointing out what I had a hunch about… that the second knee was the class G part of the amp kicking in. But I thought the level where it kicked into class G was too high for an amp this size! Mine runs very cool even when rocking pretty hard! It is a very efficient design! But overall my impression: these kind of measurements cost way more money not long ago. It would have been very interesting to see this set of measurements made on the old distortion box firmware we had 6 months ago. But compliments to Arcam-Harmon for publishing actual measurements and not the inflated ones we often see with audio gear. Nice.

Ken

1 Like

Well, for some reason Arcam has not provided this info for SA30, but they did in the past for other amps. A39, which is similar in specs of analogue section to SA30, was providing 20W into 8Ohm in class A according to Arcam.
So looking at those graphs and knowing specs for A39, i think it’s safe to assume that graph shows accurate data, and we really have 27W (8Ohm) in class A from SA30.
You’re right - it’s mighty impressive considering device size :slight_smile:

And review/measurements been updated now :slight_smile:
“Of note is that this dual “knee” behavior in the plots above may seem unusual compared to typical Class AB amps, but is characteristic of Class G amplifier topology. Class G amps provide more than one power-supply rail at different voltages and switch between them as the signal output approaches each level, optimizing power efficiency at the output transistors. Before the first “knee” is the THD behavior for the first, lower power-supply rail, above the first “knee” is the THD behavior for the second, higher voltage power-supply rail. Even above the first “knee”, at 30W to 100W (8 ohms), THD values are consistently low (~0.002%) by any amplifier standard.”

After looking at chart
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/images/stories/amplifiermeasurements/arcam_sa30/frequency_response_old.png

I think problem was with raised levels at 4kHz, 9kHz
And fall to early at 16kHz before 20kHz
This behaviour is when ADC is engaged.

1 Like

Because of this unusual high-frequency behavior with the analog input when fed through the SA30 and digitized, especially when considering Arcam’s claim that the ADC operates at 32bit/192kHz, we brought it to the attention of the Arcam engineers. They acknowledged the issue and provided us with a fix (net version 1306), which, as of this writing, is not yet available to the public at large. With the fix, the frequency response was re-measured and yielded the following results:

Is that fix in ALL the firmware we have as consumers?

No, the fix is in 1306 and the released firmware is 1206. I guess they are waiting to roll out the next version that will include the high frequency fix and the new streaming… Tidal and Spotify Connect at the same time. Personally, I think they should publish 1306 now. I said so a month ago or so.

Yesterday I have noticed new beta 1473
http://www.arcamupdate.co.uk/beta/SA30/

Updated my SA30 and … voila… Tidal Connect working ;-), frequency fix included since version 1306

I have to agree - now we all know about the high power / high frequency artifacts that will affect enjoyment (ah, psycho acoustics!).
On the downside, we now all face 2 hours of redoing all our DIRAC settings. Swings and roundabouts?

Having said that, this is a fabulous amplifier + streamer and really delivers “everyday joy” to me on speakers and on headphones.

Now to have a think about whether I want to go through an Update / reset / net reset / DIRAC cycle over the weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, you just reload your measurements that should be saved and then recreate the 3 filters you want and upload them. If you reset everything, you will need to re-add the Arcam to Google Home to get the Arcam back on the wifi. Some of us have updated the firmware without resetting the network and factory defaults and all has been fine. The whole process usually takes about 15 min.

As Ken said. If you are afraid those high frequency artifacts impacted you measurements done with older firmware, than don’t. As far as we know, those were coming from ADC, which takes no part in DL measurements. So it’s enough to reload your filters after upgrade.

2 Likes

Worked first time. No hitches. Can’t turn it up as the family went to bed early, but it sounds pretty darn fine and - dare I say it - very slightly more lively?

Hi all,

Can you please give me some short guidance how to load the new betta- which file are you loading and how - as file or reboot with update.

I know, stupid question, but I tried a few times and the Net Update fails …

Hi,
It’s always one update file with .swu extension.
Unpack to folder.
Open web page: IP address of Arcam,
Click on Device Settings
Reboot device to the Update Mode
Upload .swu file
Wait about 10min (2 stages of update)
After reboot of Arcam do: Net reset, System Reset
Next, restore your favorite harman target.
If you haven’t changed position of speakers,new measurements are’nt needed.

Sometimes I can update directly from web page without preliminary reboot, but sometimes SA30 warns about not enough space on device. It’s always safer to reboot device to the Update Mode

3 Likes

This worked for me, latest files did not need system reset or net reset

1 Like

thank you. This was really helpful. Great having such people here. Tidal Connect is there, but Music Life is nit working anymore, no matter if restarted, reloaded etc.

Did someone mentioned, that Spotify connect is also on the way? Thanks

1 Like

Wow, if Musiclife isn’t working then this is a huge issue as when streaming Chromecast SoundCloud you need to use it for volume control. Anyone else who can confirm it isn’t working?

I guess it is possible to downgrade to the official FW if you don’t like it?