Help with Dirac That Comes with SA30

I bought a 2nd hand amp and have downloaded Dirac live but I’m not sure if this is a full version or not as watching tutorial videos I don’t seem to have some of the functionality they do.

I’ve also read mixed comments about downloading a mic calibration file which I can’t seem to find on Arcam’s site and other comments saying it’s not necessary as it’s default is calibrated for the mic that’s included with the SA30 so not sure which it is and if I do need a calibration file where to find it.

I’m guessing once you’ve run the measurements the line they produce is what Dirac will target the sound to be, in video’s they seem to be able to go in and double click on the line and create points and then drag each point to create a curve that they want, I can only click and hold teh line and drag it higher and it produces it’s own curve which I have no control over.

On the right hand side I’ve a blue line under the target curve with - 3.0 db written on it.

hi there, the calculation file makes a huge difference, if you have the standard black usb microphone you can find the software here: Arcam - SA30 - Class G Intelligent Integrated Amplifier

just scroll down and if you have not already updated to the latest firmware, thats a big improvement aswell.

the dots appear if you click on the button i highlighted in the picture

1 Like

Brilliant and thank you for that, I’m running the latest software on the amp but will download and install the mic calibration this evening and have a look at the dots and using them as well.

I’ve included a pic of the readings I got last night, looks to me as though there’s an awful lot of high frequency which is why I was trying Dirac as I’m finding my setup quite bright and not sure if it’s just down to the speakers.

This result is probably due to an uncalibrated mic. The high frequencies look just like the first measurement I got before realising that Dirac needs to match the calibration file to the mic you use.

Also in my experience you don’t need the dots unless you know exactly what you’re doing. The new “handle” system was introduced a few months ago, it’s much easier to use and does everything out needs to do.

1 Like

The “handle” system … does that automatically adjus it for you, looking at some older tutorial videos some have a different interface with options like optimize which I can’t see on here.
Or maybe they have a different interface if you’re using say Hegel?

A big thank you to everyone for their help!
It didn’t have any mic calibration so @Turkleton a big thank you, found and installed and has made a huge difference to the curve and initial sound tests I was wondering what “Dirac” was all about as it sounded awful but that’s instantly gone.

I also found the Harman target curve so set that up as well, initial thoughts, the Dirac ones more bass centric which is where my speakers are light so possibly prefer but it may be the difference between everyday listening and nightime listening at much lower volumes.

I’ve posted a pic of the Dirac curve below having re-done the measurements, on the left there’s a line with +8 db and the right a line with -3db … does this mean it’d like to adjust further if it could but has limited the adjustment to protect the speakers?

1 Like

holy moly the drops in the low frequencies are huge. the videos i watched always mentioned not to increase frequencies by too much to protect the speakers, i think your 40-100hz range should be set lower to protect them. +8db means that they increased the volume of the lower frequencies by 8db and same for high frequencies, they lowered the volume of those by 3db. i personally would go for a less bass heavy line with more mids, but thats my taste.

That’s funny, I also setup the Harmony curve which is less extreme and doesn’t raise the bass by so much but found it light in comparison and manually boosted the mids.
It still think it needs some work but is probably a happy medium.

I know nothing about what a speaker chart should like like, if I’m getting those drops would you think that’s because of the speakers which are known to be lacking on the low end or more likely speaker placement / the room?

Im really no expert on that but my experience is that my speakers are pretty weird up to 100hz. so i bought a sub :smiley:

This is definitely due to the interaction of the speakers with the room. And my guess by the different results for the two speakers is that their placement inside the room and/or the room itself is not symmetrical.

I think you did well to have a bass-heavy curve but you should use it for low-to-medium-levels. That way you will get a more full-bodied sound without stressing your speakers or your amp.

I have set an almost flat curve (+4dB bass, -3dB treble) for loud volumes that I seldom use, a loudness curve (+8dB bass, 0dB treble) for my usual sessions (60-65dB average vol.) and a steeper loudness curve (+12dB bass, +4dB treble) for late night listening. They work great!

1 Like

@Turkleton … I’d use a sub if I could but I run the amp in HT/AV bypass mode conjunction with a surround system so it’s difficult to set up without a speaker switch and even then I think it’d be hard to “balance” the sub for both surround use and also for stereo.

@eyebee … You’re spot on, my speaker placement is awful unfortunately dictated by the room.

I wish you could save more curves on the amp even if it was only another 2, sometimes I like it without any curve and the range you’ve suggested for different listening scenarios seems to tick most boxes.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand this correctly, but you can actually save 3 curves in the SA30. Design your curve, press “proceed to filter export” and, on the next step, choose one of the three available spots, name your curve, and press save. After 10" or something, you’re ready to go!

Then, by pressing the Dirac button on the amp or the Audio button on the remote, you browse through “No curve”, curve 1, curve 2, curve 3". It’s simple :slightly_smiling_face:

I obviously wasn’t clear so sorry for that.
I know there are the 3 … it’d be nice to have say 5 … I use 1 as no curve so that’s immediately taken, you suggest 3 others so that’s a total of 4 slots, it’d be nice to have a spare slot just to experiment / fine tune curves manually and then back to back agaisnt the others.

One other query … hwo do you quote someone in this forum, I couldn’t see a ay of doing it?