Cracking noise when streaming Tidal using Dirac

I experience a cracking electric noise when streaming from Tidal with either Tidal client or Musiclife. Sounds like a typical electric crack as if the speaker is pushed beyond limits or is broken… But volume is low:). The issue happens only when I use Dirac. When I turn Dirac off, I do not experience problem. With Spotify it all sounds perfect using Dirac.

I use JBL L100 Classic speakers with the Arcam SA30.

Anyone experienced the same?

Hi, I had a similar problem, regardless of the volume level, I had crackles on some tracks using the dirac. I forgot to upload the microphone configuration file and the dirac raised some bands too high. After uploading the configuration file, Dirac did not boost the decibels on some bands anymore. Forgive me for my English, but I use a translator

1 Like

Thanks. I will try to verify signature. But strange that issue is only with Tidal and not with Spotify.

1 Like

Hi mate, I realise this topic is now old but did you get to the bottom of the crackling issue ? I have the sane issue and I’m thi king of returning the amp for a stand-alone Linn steamer and Arcam PA240 in it’s replacement … thanks in advance for your help

Hey
Sorry to hear you experience the same. I have the problem still. It is only when I am using Dirac. I adjust the profile and it works ok. Weird though. It is only on Tidal. Spotify is ok.
Let me know if you get some tips on how to fix it.

I have exactly this problem on my SA750 as well, and from what I know, its the same amp.

Loud crackles at low volumes, less audible distorsion at higher volumes. Some of my dirac target curves handles it better, but all of them are low gain.

I am experiencing the same symptoms. The problem I think is that it’s poison for music with a lot of bass, and music like jazz or classical doesn’t have much of an issue, so I’ve come to the conclusion that the Dirac modified music transmission seems to introduce some delay. . So it seems that the sound transmission is severely deformed, causing problems with the amplifier.

1 Like

The reason for it to be related to Tidal is that You most likely are playing MQA. This cracking noise was sort of fixed in 1.72 I think…, so please verify Your software version installed. if that’s the case You have a few options:

• restart the device and try to run the specific album again
  • go back and forth with albums and at some point, crackling may stop
  • update software… BUT - it will give You a potentially new problem- stutter, which is widely described in this group, and support seems not giving a shit about it, just replying with “reboot device, reset the system and net do default” which sorts it out for a while

Hi I have the same issue with the Sa750. I got a replaced new one but still the same issue! Where can I find and download the calibration file of the microphone?

About 3/4 down the page is a downloads section.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I was only looking on the JBL website, since I have a SA750.

But unfortunately the same issue. As soon as I activate the Dirac there is such a strong crackling that I am worried to destroy my speakers (L100). Very disappointing :frowning:

Anyone found a solution?

Just wondering is this specific to streamed MQA? …Tidal are in the process of ditching it in favour of hi-res FLAC, so if that’s the cause it should go away in time.