Connecting to the SA30 over a subnet

Hi all,

I have 2 VLANs setup, one for IoT devices like Alexa, SA30, Bluesound, TVs etc and one Main LAN for PC, Laptops, Phones etc. The IoT VLAN can’t connect to the Main LAN, but the Main LAN can see the IoT LAN. I can happily ping the SA30 from the Main LAN but the MusicLife app cannot find the SA30 unless I my iPhone is also on the IoT VLAN. I’ve enable UPNP on the IoT VLAN but there’s clearly something going on or specific port that needs opening on the IoT VLAN.

Does anyone know what ports are used for communication between MusicLife and the SA30?

Many thanks

Ian
PS I can connect to the SA30 Browser client from the Main LAN

I think ML discovers the SA30 by issueing a broadcast. Broadcasts are not forwarded to other networks by default. In order to find out what really happens you could mirror the port where the SA30 is attached to and perform a network packet capture.

1 Like

@jvs1 seems to be right on this one.
Now question is, what network devices are you using. There are ways to forward broadcast to other VLANs.
Question is, if that’s what you want to do (due to security reasons), or would it be better to just move SA30 to main LAN?

1 Like

ML does discover devices by using UPnP broadcast - in my experience UPnP broadcasts do not go between VLANs.

2 Likes

I think it’s possible, but not really preferred configuration due to security reasons.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. Relaying broadcasts to other networks is doable, a nice thread with various applications can be found here.

1 Like

Hi I’ve got a ubiqiti network with 3 VLANs. For MusicLife to find the amp I think it’s more than just broadcast. I’ve enable mdns which in theory should allow broadcast across the 2 VLANs but it still won’t find it.

My only option appears to be to put the SA30 on my Main Lan rather than IoT Lan.

I’m using a ubiquit network and I’ve set mdns to enable broadcasts across VLANs.

Yes id prefer not to enable upnp on the vlan but to find instead what firewall rule is needed and to hardwire that.

mDNS and SSDP (which supports o.a. UPnP) are 2 different examples of UDP based Network Discovery Protocols, refer to the second post in the link I posted earlier. The post mentions an UDP broadcast relay which is able to handle a multitude of different kinds of UDP broadcasts. I think mdns might not relay the required UDP broadcast.

How did you confirm the UDP broadcast is being forwarded to the other network? E.g. did you perform a packet capture?

Seems Ubiquiti has different implementations between the products.
It seems in USG it’s enough to enable mDNS, as it shouls enable SSDP automatically, but it’s not the case for UDM series.
https://community.ui.com/questions/Feature-request-SSDP-relay-across-VLANs-on-UDM-Pro-and-a-solution-for-those-trying-to-make-their-Sy/039b67e0-d679-4fd9-b52b-4c4efd15e0d9
“One of the key things seems to be the suggestion that the old mDNS functionality from the USG also enabled SSDP and multicast routing, which don’t seem to work the same on the UDM implementation?”
Some user asked that question to support, and TIer 3 told him they are working on that, but seemingly not yet working.

@iapainter which UI devices you have?

Hi Felix

I’ve got UDM Pro which would explain the problem. That’s weird though because to my knowledge the only difference between USG and UDM is the underlying hardware. The layered networking is all software based so it should be the same on both

Ian

Well, hardware differences are also forcing software differences (i.e. drivers). Might also be, that for example there are some differences in how switch controller/chip is managing VLANs, which does not work well with current software implementation of mDNS. Really hard to say not knowing all the details.
But anyway that seems to be the case - there is some difference between USG and UDP, and for now SSDP doesn’t seem to work on UDP.
You can try contacting Ubiquiti support.

Thanks Felix,

I’ll raise a support case and come back to the community when I get an answer

Ian

A classic example of the complexity of dealing with real world users :slight_smile:

True. That said I do think more and more people are starting to have multiple VLANs at home. It’s becoming common practice to separate IoT devices from key devices like phones and laptops that have personal and financial information. I agree I don’t have a typical setup but it’s certainly not completely out there to have VLANs.

Ian

Hi Felix

I did some digging and does look like it’s an outstanding issue with ubiquiti. In the end I’ve given up and moved all my kit onto the same main lan subnet. I’ll got back to it if I can get a fix from ubiquiti.

Thanks for your help in diagnosing this

Greatly appreciated

Ian

1 Like

Glad i could help :slight_smile:
Hope they’ll find a solution for you soon.