USB input for music playback on the SA30 is only available by using theWebClient, ref#67

When a USB hard drive with music on is connected to the USB input the only way to browse and play the music is by using the WebClient.

USB input cannot be selected either by using the remote or the front panel buttons.

Thanks, I created a ticket for it and I’ll keep you posted about the progress.

Unfortunately there are no plans to bring playing music from USB to MusicLife app and the SA30 remote control.

I wasn’t actually referring to using the MusicLife app to be honest (although that would be good). It cannot be selected by either pressing AMP - USB on the remote or scrolling through the inputs using the buttons on the front panel. The only way to play music off a USB attached device is via the Web Client.

The actual response was:

There are no plans to bring USB browsing to SA30.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Non feature stated in SA30 manual

Is there any chance to integrate the navigation of a USB device attached to the SA30 within Musiclife.
That was one of the reason of choosing the SA30, having this capability to connect an USB drive , but for now only the web browser allows to address the device and the interface is rather poor.

Sounds you are referring to this topic opened earlier. I moved your contribution to it, have a look at the conversation.

Thank you for your prompt responses.
I must confess that I’m a bit disappointed about the lack of that feature.
I don’t know how much influence you have on adding requirement in your development backlog for an App, but I will for sure escalate that to ARCAM management, in a constructive dialog of course.
Would there be any alternative App that you would know which would be able to read an attached devise in the way I expect it to work ?
I was thinking purchasing the ARCAM CDS 50. How is the addressing of a USB device managed from there ?. Would the browsing through Musiclife work in that case ?

I’m sorry to hear you’re disappointed, I must admit I can imaging you are. I thought you were about to ask if this missing feature can be added to the product backlog. Therefore I already did a swift enquiry if there was any chance to add your question (“is there any chance to integrate the navigation of a USB device attached to the SA30 within Musiclife”) to the product backlog. Unfortunately again the response was a firm no:

No that definitely isn’t going to happen.

I understand your concern. Please note I do not have any authority to set priorities, I do not make any decisions about development. This is a community forum not an official Arcam/ Harman forum, the information posted here will be relayed only, as outlined in the FAQ.

Would there be any alternative App that you would know which would be able to read an attached devise in the way I expect it to work?

You could set up a DNLA on your pc or NAS. There are lots of (free) software available, like (refer to previous link for more examples):

Once one of these applications are up and running, you can attach the USB in your pc/ NAS and use MusicLife to browse for DNLA compatible sources.

I was thinking purchasing the ARCAM CDS 50. How is the addressing of a USB device managed from there ?. Would the browsing through Musiclife work in that case ?

I’m not familiar with other Arcam hardware but I’ll do some more inquires about it. I’ll keep you posted.

A post was split to a new topic: Question about USB support on CDS50, ref#73

Some relevant updates can be found here: USB browsing SA30 and MusicLife