TIDAL and strange noise, ref#102

I have spoken several time with ARCAM field engineers.
you can call +44 (0)1223 203200.
I must say that they are really nice on the phone.

Patrick

So, first of all, @hoffmap7 thanks a lot. I was able to talk to their tech team, As you said, they are very nice and provide great support on the phone. They said that my issue is a software issue. They also mentioned that the new version will be available in a week or in 4 weeks. Also, they answered other questions that I have. I have a large experience with different companies support on the phone. I would say Arcam is really great in this. And from my point of view in spite of some issues with the software, Arcam SA 30 is a part of the art as hardware. Any comments from the members?

Hi,

I somehow share your point of view, it rather rare that you can speak to people who have a good understanding of the products they support. So this is the good point.
when it comes to software development and release, I’m a bit more severe.
I’m an IT product manager in the Pharma industry and I’m accountable for software release.
It is obvious that bugs that are reported here would not go out, but I already explained my point of view to the moderator of this site. Now releasing software which play with peoples life has not the same impact than an Amplifier software. Fully agreed. In the Agile methodology it all comes down to defining the MVP, the Minimum Viable Product. This is what defines the product that can be part of a release.
Certain bugs are for me too obvious and are connected to a lack of testing. Others are more complex.
Unfortunately nowadays the software has a big role in a connected amplifier.
One option is to have an amplifier which does just amplifying, but it would still not mean that a separate streamer would not have bugs !

Totally agree with you. I’m also in the software industry for more than 10 years. And what I see, the current approaches in the development have become more and more features oriented. It means that everyone wants to have more functionality in their products, and this leads to a rush, lack of strong testing, pragmatic development, etc. I can imagine then after Arcam introduces musical server possibility including support for different services, etc - they have a really huge number of scenarios, which is difficult to cover. And also I think that today when they are part of Harman International Industries, the business layer can push Arcam engineers to add more and more features just to use this in marketing. And in my opinion, it would be much better if Arcam supports not so many streaming options but do it slowly in time but more robust and stable.

It’s interesting, does anyone know, what’s about companies like NAD, McIntosh, do they also have a lot of issues with software nowadays?

NAD also had some major issues with their software, especially for C658. And for them it should be easier, as software is developed inhouse, by their parent company.
Some, like Marantz do not have some issues, as… they are using same platform since years, only minor changes between models.
In case of arcam they changed the platform to something new.
Problems with SA30 are nowhere near as severe as with AVRs, and I guess this is why they have put much more focus on latter ones.