Input issue with new SA30

So I have my new amp since December . It’s been reliable so far but I have mostly been streaming as this is a new option for me. But now I am getting back into some CD’s and vinyl. I have found that on occasion when I select my CD input I get no sound. My CD transport is running but no sound. A few times I just changed the input back to Net and then my CD again and it works. Today I had to turn the SA30 off and back on again for it to work.

Has any one else had this happen? I don’t know how to determine if it’s the Arcam or my NAD CD player. I am using the optical input if that means anything.

On a possibly related note, my Tidal Connect would not connect last night also. Again, I rebooted and it worked again. Do I have a lemon?

Not heard of this one before.i have an Arcam CDS50 hooked up via analogue and digital coax and both work fine. My optical input I’m using from TV, again not had issue with it not picking up the audio.

There are two optical inputs on the SA30; SAT and Game. Have you tried both and do they do the same thing? Does your CD player have a digital co-ax output and have you tried that instead?

Also have you tried your CD player optical output to a different amp? Am guessing that is the only way to know for sure whether it’s a CD player issue. I have no idea how good your NAD CD player is in terms of its own DAC compared with the SA30, but you do have the option of analogue as a fall-back…

Your tidal issue to me does seem very much like some sort of network issue btw. When it goes wrong does your SA30 report that it has a IP address?

Does your router have any UPnP settings other than on/off? I had an issue with Sky Hub that solved issues for me by increasing the number of “hops” on the local network for it. If you have a search you should find my post. I am now with Virgin Media using their very latest hub that doesn’t give such options, but unlike Sky it has worked without any tweaks anyhow.

You could also have a look at the logs from the amp to see if errors are reported. If you were to contact Arcam support they might ask for these anyhow.

Finally have you spoken to your dealer? I think if you are having multiple issues, it might be worth talk8ng to them.

It happend once to me on optical input. The entry is called game, but I use it for TV audio signal becouse, i can’t setup ARC HDMI standard on my tv. I’ve watched True Detective from HBO on Mi TV Stick. When detective felt down to the ice cave (en explosion-like effect), sound disappeared. It looks like some safety mechanism cutting down signal, when it is too loud or too intensive. After reboot it started to work correctly again. During the accident volume was set up for 30.

I did use the “game” input for a few days and it was fine. I then tried “sat” again and it happened once more. I’m going to leave it there for a while again. The thing is it’s so intermittent and takes several days for it to happen so maybe I just “missed it” when it was plugged into Game.

One thing I noticed was when plugged into Sat and no sound is playing, the SA30 display still shows the 44.1kHz. So the amp is detecting that something is plugged into the input, right? Otherwise it should show “not supported/ no input”. That’s what normally gets displayed when you select an input with nothing plugged into it.

Problem solved. Dealer is taking it back and I’m going with the Michi X3 Series 2 instead. I should have heeded all the negative stuff I had read about the SA30 before I bought it. Even Arcam abandoned this model after a few years. That was a sign right there.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the Michi is better quality.