SA30 hum normal?

Can I ask other SA30 owners, is it normal for the amps to hum. Nothing audible from the speakers, but when close to the SA30, say from 3ft or close, the amp emits a distinctive hum.

I’ve just had mine replaced and can’t recall this issue with the one that was replaced. Volume changes or switching connections makes no difference, and it appears to come from the centre, strongest where the vents are. May be normal, just wanted others experience.
Thanks.

Mine is dead quiet, even with my ears just inches from the top vent. The transformer in yours might have loose windings or is not mounted properly. I would return it. Or at least plug it in at the shop where you bought it and see if it still hums on their circuit.

Ken

1 Like

Mine is quiet too. No hum…

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I’ve emailed the dealer. My last one had to go back as it failed to turn on from standby, I had hoped I had put my Arcam woes behind me.

1 Like

I have very slight hum in mine, but it’s audible with my ear like few centimeter from the amp. Quite normal for toroidal transformer.
@lawl maybe a stupid question, but have you tried reversed polarity? It should not matter, but i’ve seen some devices with transformer hum, when they were connected out of phase. Reversing the plug fixed it.
Otherwise as @Ken said - it might be a loose wiring or mounting issue. Usually it’s the former one.

1 Like