SA30 build 705 version 1.33

I only hear a click within the SA30 when I mute and un-mute. Can you elaborate on this? E.g. when do you hear it, does it always occur, is there any sequence of steps involved, etc

No it occurs randomly. Often when I have the SA30 in processor mode.

I also experience that when I go into the menu on the SA30 the menu closes automatically after a couple of seconds. It seems a little buggy this device. If I restart it, it will stick in the menu again. I think the software developers have some work to do. I tried contact the support and got an answer two weeks after my question. And they asked me to do the most obvious things like resetting the system. I told them I have already done all that and asked if there is a software problem. It has gone 1,5 weeks since that question and I still haven’t got an answer. I am a little disappointed at the lack of support.

I got an answer today from the support. They told me that the gap problem was a issue they did now about and is working on that bug. They also told me that they have seen on this forum that I said that I have mailed them 1.5 week ago and haven’t got an answer. That for me is really strange they they have the time to follow this forum and at the same time say that they have so much to do regarding support. Is this forum actually mandated by Arcam? I was actually before that mail from the support that contained a long part of explaining that they have much to do and the fact that answering takes a long time is because the have to work with the bugs in the software considering buying a AVR30 from them. But no I will not now. So Arcam support, because I now know you are reading this. At least bring up a FAQ on your homepage. That is in fact a good suggestion from me.

I have noticed when adjusting the volume on my ARCAM SA30 with the remote control the level jumps two steps when the button Is pushed. Sometimes it doesn’t respond and when pushing it again it often jumps two steps, i.e. from 32 to 34. Sometimes it jumps as it should, only one step.

Have also used the remote control I have for my ARCAM CDS50 and when adjusting the volume on my SA30 with that one the same thing happens as above. Seems that the problem is not the remote controls I have, or?

There are some remote related issues posted here. It is similar to one of the following issues? In some cases you have to press the AMP button first in order the SA30 responds to remote control commands. Hope this helps.

The next one listed below occurs after you decrease the maximum allowed volume.

This one occurs after you press the remote control button button multiple times.

Yes, I know about the “AMP” button on the SA30 remote (the CDS50 remote doesn’t have such button). Seems that the SA30 is very sensitive when buttons are pressed in a short time, i.e. changing the volume…

I bought my SA30 a few months ago. I use Dirac with Roon and have developer status. I too have problems with the unit starting to distort after an hour or so while streaming via Roon-Tidal -MQA files. It will also start distorting after an hour or 2 of playing vinyl or tapes via the analog inputs with Dirac. I have discovered that I can usually end the distortion by simply switching inputs and choosing Direct mode, then switch back to Roon etc instead of a hard reboot. The moving coil stage is decent, but you can hear digital hash when turned up. Interestingly, with nothing plugged into the moving coil input it is dead quiet. So I thought it was my turntable wires picking up the noise. So I used shorting plugs and as soon as the shorting plugs engage, the digital hash is heard. I even removed the Arcam from my system, and with nothing plugged into the SA30, in a room with no routers, iPhone etc, put it to the moving coil direct input, used headphones and with nothing in the moving coil input it was dead quiet. But as soon as I inserted the shorting plugs into the moving coil inputs, the digital hash can be heard at louder volume levels. My guess is the Arcam mutes the inputs until something is plugged into them. The noise is probably from the network card of the Arcam. Its not a deal killer as it can only be heard at louder volume levels, but I did notice it on quiet passages at louder levels. My Basis Debut Vacuum table is very quiet. I don’t mind a little hiss, but cyclic digital hash sucks. If they can fix the other bugs, get the Roon Ready certification completed, then I may buy a separate Phono stage. But boy, this Arcam is one buggy piece of beautiful sounding gear. Love hate is developing quickly. When its playing right, with Dirac and analog or MQA or 24/192 files via Roon, it is spectacular and drives my Sonos Faber Extremas with authority. Lets get this sorted out Arcam!

Ken

I too have been getting it when streaming from my NAS. I also have found that switching from the NET input to another and back again solves it until the next time.

I have passed it onto Arcam’s field engineer that I speak to and it is being investigated. I can tell you that it only does it with V705, it never did it with V521.

Interestingly, because the quality of my mains is pretty poor sometimes during the day I have recently purchased an IsoTek Power conditioner. As well as making everything sound so much better at all times anyway, I haven’t had the distortion issue since using it. I wonder if the quality of mains can cause it or maybe I’m speaking too soon and it will do it again.

Mine is plugged into a Monster power conditioner. The AC seems stable and I seldom see a voltage fluctuation. But I will watch this closely ! Let us know if you have solved the issue! Are you conditioning the ethernet connection as well??

Ken

Anyone have any information when the next firmware update going to be released ? It’s been 3 months since the release of v705 I guess and lately this forum become quite silent. I wonder if anyone has feedback by Arcam on the software update pipeline…

Yes, I had this by email yesterday:

Glad to hear it’s running stable. There is an update due to be pushed out in the next week or so, so I would keep an eye out for that. It is intended to prevent external stutter and distortion from what I understand. I have been sent a file to test it and will be doing so over the next few days.

For the more adventurous there’s a new beta this week placed in http://arcamupdate.co.uk/beta/SA30
No release notes though…

seems all of the firmware updates have been beta… I have to cycle my SA30 a few times a day to stop distortion. I sure hope that is sorted in the next update, beta or whatever. I wonder if they passed Roon Ready certification?

the link died. But I got it downloaded before something changed. But I can’t open the swu file. I just wanted to read the update text. I won’t load it until its “ready”.

Ken

I have been in regular contact with one of Arcam’s field engineers and he tells me the firmware for the ST60 streamer has many of the same features as the SA30 and that there should be an update soon that addresses joint issues with both devices. One of them being the distortion issue.

I also get the distortion issue occasionally when streaming. Initially I also was rebooting but I have found by chance that if you switch from the NET input to another input and then back again that also resolves it (until the next time of course).

I’m fine and dandy having “downgraded” to 521 still. The sound to me still seems richer/fuller

One interesting thing given the quirks of streaming and musiclife, I see that Tidal now has a Connect feature so their app connects to compatible devices like the MusicLife app does to the SA30 therefore acting as a controller.

I wish Arcam partnered in the way others have done (Cambridge Audio,blue sound, lyngdorf, NAD for example) then I could probably ditch the MusicLife app altogether and just use the web client for internet radio!

Have you heard any more about a firmware update to v 705? I am getting tired of the distortion problem. I have also noticed that when listening to analog sources, it does not switch between different Dirac filters. I have to go to Roon, and switch filters while streaming , then switch back to my turntable. I am starting to second guess buying this SA 30…

Ken

I am thinking the same as you, why did I buy this one :-/ I have contacted the support and the answer I got 3,5 weeks ago (November 20) was that it should come that week or the week after or when it is ready. And that is not an answer that is satisfying me at all.

“There is currently a beta that we are testing to see if it resolves the issues of which you speak. This will be released when the development team are satisfied that it does resolve at least the majority of issues being reported. This may be this week, or the week after, but ideally when it is ready and fit for release. Rushing updates out rarely improves the situation.”

But NO it hasn’t come. And they also told me that I should contact the dealer instead of connecting them because

“We primarily work as support for the dealer and so replies to end users will be slower as we need to be on available at any time to offer immediate support to our dealers (who are in turn supporting you, their customer).”

I am actually getting tired of this evading of the problem. I have also told them that I could be a beta tester if they don’t have enaiuge of them, but no answer to that yet. I am NOT a satisfied costumer.

I haven’t heard I’m afraid. I was hoping it would get rolled out before Christmas.

In my case it sometimes distorts streaming from my NAS. The only positive is that I have found I don’t have to reboot to get it back to normal. I just select another input then go back to the NET input.

To be fair, apart from this issue I am happy with the SA30 but I did comment to the Arcam field engineer I communicate with that the firmware issues across the Arcam range do no good to the brand reputation. He seemed to be in agreement and said their hands were tied by the pressure to get products released from above.

I think the Arcam engineers themselves in the UK are as dedicated and professional as they have always been but since being part of the Harman Kardon group they have less control on how things are done.