SA30 remote: commands are ignored, ref#7

I guess so, with v1.62 which came with the unit, it never powered back ON from standby with the remote so enabling Net Standby was the only option to turn it back ON from standby. At least now with V1.72 on the unit, it turns back from standby with the remote but i have enabled Net Standby to On for the quick booting up & not hearing those Thud like sounds that come with it disabled. Guess it’s software related as before on v1.62 it never turned on from standby with Net Standby disabled.
Another quick question i have is if i leave it on Net Standby On & turn off the power from the Mains wall outlet at night & then turn on the Main outlet back in the morning, will the unit just come back on standby mode or will boot up all the way again?

Thanks.

It will boot up again and stay on. If you have auto-standby set (by default it’s set to 20 minutes), it will go back to standby after set time. It’s exactly same behavior as if you would have used power button on the amp.

Oh, my Arcam avr550 has this option for Last Power Mode, where you can set it to turn on to standby or turn on the avr, when you power the unit directly form the wall outlet & the power button on the unit is pressed. Guess they should add this feature in the SA30 soon.

I just left the sa30 on standby with Network Standby enabled for few hrs today & when i turned it On from the remote to watch a movie the amp did power up but before the lcd screen lit up there were some 2-3 thud/click like sounds & then the screen lit up & the amp booted. This happens only f i leave the amp on standby for few hours but not when i turn ON the amp from Network Standby in few minutes. Do you experience the same thud/click sound when booting the SA30 after few hrs from standby?

Thanks.

No, seems your amp is crashing for some reason, and that is causing reboots.
I had similar behavior a while ago, when i was using Home Assistant integration for Arcam, but seems that recently it has been updated, and it’s not crashing anymore.
However every once in a while it’s crashing when i start playback from standby, but in my case it starts, and reboots after few seconds. Usually this happens when for example i was using Spotify Connect, switch amp to standby and next day try to start playback using Roon.
But i’m using beta firmware with Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect. Seems those two still cause some issues, when switching between different streaming sources (i.e. trying to switch from Spotify Connect to Roon).

1 Like

By crashing you mean the click like sound from the unit & the delay it takes to turn on the lcd screen?

If i turn On the sa30 from the Main Power button on the unit, it boots up fine with just that 1 Thud sound & the relay click in the end, it’s just turning it On from standby that is giving me this weird issue, first v1.62 couldn’t turn on the sa30 from standby, now v1.72 turns it On but with these strange sounds. Hope it’s not a hardware issue & something that can be fixed by software. Should i reload V1.72? i did the update from the Network & all went fine & even showed update successful even did both Net & System resets.

By crashing i mean hanging and rebooting. Just like a PC. When Windows runs into some problems (be it hardware or software related), you get blue screen and next it reboots.
Seem your SA30 does same thing, of course without blue screen. It runs into some problem and reboots.
As said - streaming module is nothing else as just a small computer with it’s own, Linux based, operating system. But there’s also second, “smaller” computer (microcontroller) with it’s own software, that is used to manage very basic functions when “NET Standby” is off.

@Felix
So you had a similar issue before? how can i fix this? should i reload the firmware? or should i downgrade the firmware back to v1.62? as with that firmware it never booted up from standby unless Net Standby was enabled but then when enabled the sa30 booted quickly & with no Thud/click sounds, dunno what to do, will this lead to a hardware issue if i just let it boot up with this thud/click sounds which happens only when the unit is in standby for long?

In a way, yes. It’s also crashing from time to time, but not like in your case.
I would start by reloading latest firmware and performing system and net reset.

1 Like

@Felix
So should i reload v1.72 from the Network? as from what i read it won’t do it by usb cause it will know it already has the same firmware, am i correct? where can i get the previous version firmware for the SA30? i can’t see them on the Arcam site.

Thanks.

Toke the unit back to the dealer, seems to be some software/hardware issue which the dealer got puzzled, Arcam support asked for the unit back for checking, toke a refund instead of replacement from the dealer. Will buy another brand now, thanks a lot for your guidance & replies, really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Sorry i didn’t answer before. Lack of time to look for older firmwares in my library.
You made the right thing to take it to the dealer, although you might’ve gave SA30 another chance - it’s really nice device when working correctly, and whatever you buy, there’s always a chance to get faulty unit.
Anyway you might try Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. It’s also very nice little amp.

1 Like

TBH i didn’t find much difference in the sound comparing my arcam avr550 & the SA30 in stereo usage, so wasn’t really impressed with it. For the price it’s a good amp but the software/hardware issues seem abit too much.

Well, Arcam always made good sounding AVR’s.
If AVR is properly made, the difference between it and stereo AMP is not that huge.
In your case i think it was some hardware issue, as i don’t really remember any of the users experiencing all/same issues that you had.
But since, as you said, difference between your AVR and SA30 is not big, than i think you made a right decision to return it. Question is, if you are still interested in stereo amp. I’m afraid that it will be hard to get better sounding device in this price range, at least when we talk about all-in-one.

I have something similar. If music is playing at high bit rates and I use the remote to try to change a SYSTEM SETTING it often jumps back to the start of the menu at random. It is find on 44.1kHz material, but almost impossible to change a setting if 192kHz material is playing. If you stop the stream, the SYSTEMS SETTINGS menus work fine.