SA30 makes wheird stuttering sound version 1.72

Still same issues, so I stick with v1.61 for now. Anyone ideas?

I recently got my SA30 and it has 1.62 v1027 on it. I think I leave it like this for the time beingā€¦

Iā€™ve been experiencing this problem on the optical connection using Dirac live. The music is coming from Roon, which Airplays to a Bose Soundtouch Wireless Adapter to the Arcam optical SAT connection. The stuttering was introduced after I hooked up the Arcam. Does Arcam have a handle on this problem or do we have to keep resetting and unplugging the SA30 as a workaround?

I have the same problem as you! I also tried to play it with USB, I donā€™t know if it is a decoding problem. I want to solve it!

After resetting like you, I can play for hours with TIDAL! But in the end there was a stutter! A little suspected to be the cause of the heat! The machine is really hot when I touch it. Did you find a solution?

My specific problem is using Roon with the Bose Soundtouch WiFi Adapter connecting to the optical input to the SA30 via Airplay. Arcam responded to my problem ā€œthe digital clock on the bose device is drifting slightly. The SA30 has a narrow lock on the digital clock for the best precision and minimal jitter. However, if the clock of the source drifts, it will cause the drop outs you describeā€. I have no way of verifying this or connecting other optical devices to the Arcam SA30 for testing and validation purposes. I will check with Bose on this issue. Bose Soundtouch works well in its own environment but when it comes to working with other technology I run into difficulty. It may be time to phase out the Bose Adapter for this purpose since it is old technology and the device is not longer produced by Bose. I have some workarounds for this so I will put my energy into eliminating the need for the Bose box. I still love my SA30.

I will also say that this problem only occurs when I play full res audio 44/16 and up when playing Roon. Iā€™ve checked Roon and they donā€™t seem to be the issue. Using the Soundtouch app and playing compressed music does not cause the stuttering.

This too has been happening to me on digital inputs (Dirac enabled) via Chromecast and optical.

After a brief silence, the amp recovers and starts playing again.

My SA30 went in to the service centre for unrelated repairs last month and the firmware was upgraded to the latest version but the stuttering issue was present before this too.

Would be good if Arcam could confirm the stutter crash is on their radar.

This problem has recently re-occurred more times in the last few weeks. I am using Roon RAAT to transport the data to my Arcam SA30. Iā€™ve rebooted my Arcam two days ago and the problem occurred twice last night. To date, Iā€™ve had the same problem with my Soundtouch Wireless Adapter and my Roon RAAT system. Two different sources with different input connections to the Arcam SA30 displaying the same problem while playing 44/16 music. Anybody know of a fix or workaround?

Hi @Lastonein What is your connection to network, are you using Ethernet or WiFi?
Roon is renowned for being demanding of network setup for RAAT and I have my SA30 running Ethernet. I almost never have any sound our connection issues with it and find that it has been absolutely solid in the 8 months of use and sounds wonderful. This was after some fun and games with the initial firmware update. I have never used the WiFi on the SA30 so I cannot say how good it is.

I am using a wired connection. My Roon server is located in a separate room than my listening area. The signal from the Roon server goes through a couple of switches before it gets to my Arcam SA30. I run a very lean system. I have turned off the DSP functions in Roon and have opted to let the Arcam SA30 handle all of the digital processing and then output to the speakers. I also have a Cambridge CXN/V2 that is also Roon connected and connected to the analog inputs of the SA30. The CXN signal travels the same path as the Arcam SA30. The CXN does all of the digital processing of the music because I have also turned off the DSP in Roon. There were no problems with the CXN doing the processing. Iā€™ve also had this problem with the SA30 and Airplay connected to the Roon server.

Today, I will run Music life on the Arcam to see if this problem occurs.

For my Roon server. I am using a Nuc10I7FNH with Windows 11. Iā€™ve had the problem with the same computer with Win 10 and Win 11.

If you have 1Gb switches then there should be no issue getting the signal along the path and if you have it on AirPlay as well that could be an issue.
Have you set the WiFi up as well?
You might want to make sure that is disabled and you are running Ethernet only.
Your Nuc has plenty of power to spare and I run the same model (with i5) and runn several zones at the same time including DSP and upscaling.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have Wi-Fi disabled whenever I use an Ethernet connection. I use a TP-Link AX-55 to send the Roon data to the Arcam. Iran more tests this morning. Test 1, Play a Qobuz music via Music Life for3 hours which was flawless. Test 2 play a Qobuz playlist via Roon to the Arcam. Stuttering happened on the second track, temporarily lost connection to the Arcam. The connection restarted and I hit the play button to continue. Test 3, play the same Qobuz playlist on my CXN which connects to the Arcam at the analogue connections (rca cables) and it has played flawlessly for the past hour and a half. I restarted my Roon dedicated computer, reset the internet connection and rebooted the Arcam Sa30 three days ago. This seems to only happen with Qobuz, Roon and the Arcam. My personal music store on the Roon computer plays flawlessly in any combination of hardware.

The AX 55 is in Passthrough mode. It receives the music from my cable modem which runs over 300mbs. I am the only one using the internet in my house at that time.

Thatā€™s something I have seen from Roon userā€™s using WiFi extenders before. Roon requires double the bandwidth of Qobuz as it has to pull the data down and then send it out the the endpoint.
It has often caused issues for userā€™s. Though based on what you have said, the Roon core is sitting directly on the Ethernet network.
Roon strongly recommends not using any deviceā€™s like this but a number of endpoints are on WiFi and I have Orbi and I have had no issues at all, though my SA30 is on the Ethernet.
If you try a long Ethernet cable to test this I imagine it will work perfectly, not the answer you want I know, but not that uncommon sorry to say

Iā€™ve been in contact with Arcam support. They cannot recreate the problem and they recommend that I perform a Net and System refresh. Iā€™ve done it and the problem has not materialized since then. The stuttering may be a symptom that can only be remedied with a reset. Good to know in case in happens again. My Bose Soundtouch speakers and Roon system require a periodic refresh so this response may be the same with the Arcam.

Just when you think you have it solved, it reappears. After about a week after the Network Reset, my Arcam SA30 went back to stuttering.

I believe that issue is already being investigated for over a year now. Resetting devices and/or routers and stuff fixes it for a while, but it is not something You would expect from a premium device, especially experience-wise my Denon AVR that it worth like 20% of SA30 is not having that issue. Iā€™m at this stage where Iā€™m afraid to listen to the music louder because I know if I will get this issue again I will get a heart attack :smiley: , not to mention my Wife telling ā€œwe should stay with Denon, least it was workingā€¦ and cheaperā€. For now, I was hoping it was only related to the built-in streamer, switched to run Tidal on TV and just connect through optical - but it happened againā€¦ and yes, resetting everything helps for a while, but gives this nasty feeling that it will happen, especially when having some louder listening sessions, and by lauder I mean not wall-shaking loud, just going up to 35/100 on the dial :slight_smile:

1 Like

Roon, Arcam and Qobuz give me the Help Desk Runaround pretending that this is the first time that they have heard of the problem. Typical IT support with the vendors feigning surprise and pointing the finger at the other vendors.