Different channel volumes

Yes, that seems to be perfect fit, thanks @VKov :slight_smile:
And itā€™s also meant specifically for speaker protection, just like that Panasonic.

1 Like

But itā€™s also obsolete :rofl:
Wonder if this is why Arcam service center charges 80ā‚¬ for replacing it out of warranty? :grin:

I have no doubt the sound improved. Dirty contacts in the signal path work like a random resistor added to the signal path. Thanks for finding the Omron relay! Although obsolete too, I am going to try to find one and add that to the pile of spares. I have a Teac X2000r reel to reel that has a complicated switching relay that changes the tape heads connected. Of course itā€™s a one off complicated relay that wears out with no replacement. Mine started to act up. And internally the slide contacts were worn through. So it was end of life for a really nice , totally restored reel to reel. But I found a guy on Ebay had reverse engineered the relay using modern sealed gold contacts relays and mounted it all on a drop in board. I bought it and not only did it fix the deck, but it had never sounded so good. Although the difference is larger with relays in the signal path of low level signals like a preamp or tape heads, they still can effect the sound of speaker level outputs. When my SA 30 goes out of warranty and if I am still using it, I think a total recap and a better relay will be in order. To me it would be worth the effort. I think this SA 30 sounds fab!

Ken

Happy to help. Iā€™m also happy with the sound of the SA 30 and have no plans to change it anytime soon. I looked at the Panasonic ala2pf24 relay, it seems to have good AgSnO2 Silver contacts. I looked at what relay is used in Arkam A25, itā€™s different. And the capacitors are from a different manufacturer.

nice pics! Yes the Panasonic seems to be well suited for the purpose. I personally have had no issues. But I would think high ohm speakers would show the trouble sooner than low impedance speakers like mine. I will keep one or two new ones in a safe place. Easier to drop in replace vs a modification. I am still surprised this problem developed. I wonder if Arcam had some stock that had been in a damp location.

Ken

Tried to find direct replacement, but failed.
Seems neither Panasonic nor Omron have direct replecements. Omron published discontinuation note on G5PA-2 in 2018, claiming itā€™s discontinued due to diminishing demand, and no replacement is planned. Instead they propose G2R-2A for new designs (due to different size).
I could only find some no name relays or Chinese counterfeits on AliExpress.
Yep, seems Arcam had some stock they used for SA series, and they still have it, charing ridiculous price for replacementā€¦

Was wrong, think i found something.
OSA-SS-224DM5 from TE Connectivity. Never heard of the company, but seems ok, US capital owned, based in Switzerland.
Seems parameters are the same as in Panasonic, also contact type (AgSnO). Dimentions, contact layout and raster also same. If i havenā€™t missed anything itā€™s a direct fit, although not many offers. Mostly DM3 (3A version are there).

1 Like

My research shows that relay is obsolete too. Dam

Hmmm, havenā€™t found that info on manufacturers webiste. Just info, that their system is not showing stocks with distributors.
But seems some distributors have those in stock.
It anyway shows itā€™s a good idea to grab any of those we could find just in case.
Seems that for reason or another it will fail one day, and as those type are not manufactured, fidning direct replacement soon will not be possible. So fiddling with some home-made adapter will be needed to fit new one, with diferent size.

Edit: actually TE site says itā€™s pending obsolescence, so not obsolete yet in theory. Just not available :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, itā€™s getting really ridiculous.
Seems EVERYONE stopped making those.
Just checked Chinese Hongfa. hf42f/024-2hst would be the type, and itā€™s also not available.
I can only see some relays on AliExpress, but iā€™m afraid to buy from there, so it will probably be made in a garage :slight_smile:
There are few on Amazon or Ebay, but all coming from dismantled devices, you can see they were were soldered when looking at the pics.
Thank you Arcam. Thank you for using obsolete parts in our amp, knowing it was obsolete already when you were disigning the device (2018 dated Omron discontinuation note vs. 2020 SA30 release date).
Thatā€™s really so thoughfull of you, providing customers device that can only be fixed by you for ridiculous price (thatā€™s until you have some relays in stock of course) :slight_smile:

1 Like

If grinding the contacts of the relay solves the problem, why replace it?

Not replacing now, but having such possibility for the future :slight_smile:

When the contacts of the relay are not in good contact, it can be re-polished. In fact, the last time I fixed this issue was 4 months ago and it is working fine at the moment. In addition, arcamā€™s foundry in Dalian, China, has already sold a lot of parts from the trial production in October last year, including nichicon capacitors and circuit boards, which were put on a second-hand platform by scrap buyers, and I missed the capacitors, but I bought a SA750 decoder board, but unfortunately, it cannot be used on the SA30.

This really shows the difference between a company thats in it for the quick sale vs a company thats in it to take care of the customer for years and years. I grew up in the USA and McIntosh was the brand of audio gear that you bought if you could afford it. I am not saying there is not better than McIntosh when it comes to performance and value. But I can get parts from McIntosh for virtually anything they have built going back to the 60ā€™s. You may have to wait a few months for them to run a batch of glass face plates or make up new boxes, but they have the stuff. Anyway that has been my experience. Arcam is short sighted. I wonā€™t be buying anything else from them. I do love my SA 30. Itā€™s wonderful. But now I know itā€™s a short fling not a marriage. :laughing:

This is very interesting to read about. I have the exact same issue as the OP has reported here. The thing with my story is that I thought it was my left ear.
I bought this amp along with a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 300 5Gā€™s three months ago. At the same time I discovered I have something wrong with my left ear (waiting for MRI results, possibly Hyperacusis)
I figured my ear could no longer pick up the lower volume and turning the amp up was just filling the room with more sound and it was leveling itself out.
This morning I read this!
So now this issue on top of the intermittent output troubles Iā€™ve been having has made me make up my mind. The store where I bought from, knowing about the ongoing output issues, has offered to refund almost all of my purchase cost towards a Michi X3, Series 2 amp. More out of my pocket but Iā€™m jumping on that deal. I actually wanted the Michi originally but settled for the Arcam.