Arcam- SA30/ PA240/ CDS50?'s

That would be good, it’s the 20th Anniversary version that I have.
I have read some other places that some of the dire straits were not as compatible as most albums, which put of me off ordering them, but I got this for £9.99 so I thought why not :wink:

I have ”Brothers In Arms”, 20th anniversary edition, and my CDS50 show ”SACD” automatically on the display when inserted.

1 Like

I own several SACD’s and each of them also do the same. Version 16-1.

1 Like

Well that is disappointing.
Every other SACD shows up as an SACD, just not this one.
It says SACD and DSD on the cover, I wonder…

Thanks to you both for checking, I have bought 6 so far and 5 are showing up fine and the CDS50 is now showing up as the latest firmware and it has the option for selecting the default which is set to SACD. Makes me wonder it if it is counterfeit :thinking:

Same as others I have the same SACD 20th anniversary edition too. Comes up to default SACD stereo layer as expected.

Maybe find another SACD player to play it in. perhaps your local Audio Store. If it plays normal, which it probably will, then you know the CD is defective or a bootleg.

1 Like

All my SACD’s, about 25, on different record labels show ”SACD” on the display automatically. No problem with them…

1 Like

Thanks both it has taken me 25 years to get a SACD PLAYER and I am unlikely to get another in the short term. I can live with one bad CD.
The key thing is that I have now have a fully up to date Player and some good SACDs as well. I will slowly build my collection up, though mostly stream my collection on Roon. I bought the CDS50 on a whim because I wanted a few albums on SACD and now I have most of them :grin:

Kind of off topic, but where is everyone getting their SACD from? At reasonable prices… :roll_eyes:

eBay for me, but I keep watching.
If anyone is bidding on them I give up.

I would like some more sources myself

In addition to eBay just found this place - Music Direct. They seem to have a wide selection.

Music - Optical Disc - Page 1 - Music Direct

1 Like

On Discogs.com you can find alot of new and used SACD’s…

1 Like

Maybe the issue is that the label shows SACD surround sound. Tha SA30 only supports PCM stereo

The photo I posted that shows that also shows stereo layer. Plays perfectly with my CDS50 to SA30 irrespective of whether using analogue or digital output from CDS50. For some reason it’s not behaving for WelshMike

Plus CDS0 only outputs PCM Stereo so suspect I ignores the surround layer anyhow….

It’s only the one album causing issues for me, I have bought around 10 SACDs since I got the CDS50 and only Brothers in Arms plays up.

I got the issue with my HT setup immediately as I did think about buying a BD based SACD player so I could play 4k BD & 5.1 SACD into it, but I bought it for the music and that is enough.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and have happily been playing some of my new CD purchases after I rip them as well.
I will always play 90%+ of my music via Roon, but options are good and I will be on the lookout for some more SACD’s as well

I appreciate the help and advice offered here and will continue to come back and see if I can contribute back as well.

Can you hear the difference in micro-details when you play a CD vs streaming?

Yes there is an noticeable improvement, maybe it is taking the Network out of the equation, and maybe not.
But plain old CD’s sound better, and when people used to tell me that in the past I never accepted it and thought they would be equal.
SACD sounds significantly better and is up there with 24/96 (maybe SACD sounds better still) but they are generally just too expensive to buy too many.
My wife is starting to get annoyed at the growing pile of CD’s that is now living downstairs :laughing: