MusicLife 4.0.1 (4014)

Tried various sources. Recent works for internet radio and qnap’s own server program but not Tidal or minim server.

Arne

4017 works much better.

I also learnt that favorites requires me to start on the first track of an album to be included in recent so now that sort of works also for Tidal and MinimServer.

Much improved now. Still hope for arbitrary folders to favorites, and while I am on it. The old << in Tidal is missing, i.e. the possibility to quickly return to the home screen. And while I am on it. I would like more info about a track such as bitrate, sample frequency, no of bits, as shown in the web client.

/Arne

I use minimserver on my Synology NAS and have not seen the problems you describe.

Yes please, I mentioned that one before. Deffo needed imho

How were you initiating playback before? Were you just tapping on a song part way through the album? What is your default action set to: Settings > Default Action.

This may be possible. I’ll look at the data I receive from the SA30. I’m not sure where this information could fit on the Now Playing screen however. My immedate thought would be replace the container label (FLAC, MQA etc) on the bottom left with an info button that displays any data I get, although this feels clunky.

Replacing the info button is fine with me.

Or there may be room below the volume control.

/Arne

The new MusciLife app is a great upgrade, thanks for all the efforts done to improve it!

I copy this. For my use case it would be very helpful if I could link to specific folders created by the server on my Synology NAS.

Now i have to navigate to “my Nas” => choose “Music” (and not Pictures and Movies) => choose one of the options (e.g. Folders, All music, Playlist, Albums, …). => pick the music I want.

I would really like to add the “by album” option directly to the homescreen of the musiclife app.

This is potentially very tricky with UPnP. To give a little bit of insight into how UPnP navigation works, heres a general overview of how all UPnP apps browse data.

• App asks “what can I see at the root level of the server?”, the server returns “Video, Music, Photos”, or something similar.
  • User taps on Music, the app then requests “what can I see inside the Music folder?”, the server returns “Albums, Artists, Genres” etc…

Each of those ‘subfolders’ has an ObjectID, which we can reference. So, we could have a link on the Home Screen for “what is inside the folder where ObjectID == ‘albums’”. This could work, however we’re making an assumption that the ObjectID will not change.

That’s a reasonably fair assumption, but is not set in stone. For example, MinimServer, which is one of the most popular server products, can change object identifiers any time new music is added.

We do some small trickery to make this work with UPnP ‘albums’, which seems to work ok. But that is on the assumption that while the Object ID’s may change, the actual playable file URLs are unlikely to.

I can’t immediately think of a robust solution outside of adding the feature as an opt-in ‘experimental’ feature, that may or may not work, which isn’t ideal!

Thanks for the clarifications! I’m not that familiar with how UPnP works but now I understand that it is tricky to implement.

Even if you would find a workaround to go directly to the “what can I see in the Music folder?”-level, I would be happy.

Thanks to @paulguk i discovered MinimServer which does the trick of eliminating the “Music-Movie-Picture”-menu and allowing me to directly go to my albums.

I thought similar but looking on an iPad at least there seems to me wasted space. In landscape view there is a lot of space left and right of the central control area towards bottom of the screen. Half of the real estate width is taken up with the image of the previous and next track which too me seems a little pointless.

My other thought rather than an info panel is what about a sliding/auto revolving or scrolling area underneath the track name, behaviour of which can be controlled in settings?

On the portrait view I think similar about use of screen space, in fact this shows that in my opinion album artwork is far too large

I was just looking at tidal and Spotify in comparison. Whilst they don’t show the info either, there control panel is more spread out and the artwork smaller and there certainly looks plenty of space to include the info. I guess you don’t want things to look cluttered but a sliding (with finger) or auto revolving area would be good imho,

This is a fair question, however while your iPad has plenty of space available, not all devices do. The largest screen available right now is the 12.9" iPad Pro. The smallest screen available is the 4" iPhone SE 1st gen. As you can see thats quite a range we have to support.

Sure understand, But Apple,at least have option to target iPad or iphone, is there not conditional behaviour of the GUI that can be programmed? Also the artwork could definitely be reduced in size and I gave some ideas of what I thought might work even in the existing space. Just one opinion clearly :slightly_smiling_face:

I understand the problem, but is it not possible to internally store the search path, i.e. without the ObjectID and then, when needed, do the server access in the background, by first calling the server’s root, or however you call it the first time and then follow the internal path to where my albums, or whatever I want, is stored?

And coming back to the <<. A home button would be nice. I often make playlists on the fly mixing my own server music and Tidal, which btw works great and is impressive, and then it is a nuance to have to click left a couple of times, especially from Tidal.

This poses the same issue, we can’t guarantee the order returned by the server, as this can be changed on the server, e.g. if the user decides to sort by name, or date added etc.

This was removed as this is was inconsistent. We can’t always show it as there is something else occupying the space, e.g. the ‘…’ action button, or grid/list toggle. I’ll bear this in mind and see if theres something else we can offer.