Getting the sa30

Hey

I’m in a for a new integrated amp. After listening i found the hegel h190 a bit too analytic. It felt a bit cold and too airy. It can present the extremes beter than the sa30 in my ears, but is less enjoyable on a more broad range of genres. It brings out things i dont wanna hear on a bit worse mastered tracks.

It felt more like a listening experience (picking out details, while the sa30 was more of a party mode, kick back and enjoy and sounded more forgiving on more genres and still sounding extremely extremely well. Dont get me wrong both absolutely floored me! The hegel plus the neutral kefs pushes it into one direction too much imo, while the arcam sa30’s warmth was more enjoyable to me.

Also listened to a marantz and atoll in the same price range, both didnt leave a mark on me.
I’ve listened to the kef reference 1 and all the amps mentioned.

Question is can the sa30 or even the hegel h190 power my kef r11’s enough? I guess so, since both have been featured together on shows? Or do you think i need more power? Also how’s the software these days? i usually only stream through spotify and tidal and connect to my tv.

How are some of you’s experience with the sa30 over a longer period?

thanks!

Hey Ser, welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question about power, I see your R11’s drop to about 3.5 Ohms (per these measurements) but KEF recommends amps starting at 15W, and it is generally considered a relatively easy load for amps. My guess is the SA30 will have no problem driving them, based on its measurements here. I use it with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 10’s, which presents a slightly more benign load than the R11’s (4.5 Ohms minimum) and has only two bass drivers instead of four. In this combo, it sounds very powerful and dynamic (and can get REALLY loud).

Regarding its software, I’ve only experienced annoying hiccups with Spotify/Tidal Connect (relating to difficulty and drops of connection, not sound artefacts or distortion that other users have reported). My solution was to only use Chromecast when listening to Spotify/Tidal, which is no big deal if you dont listen to continuous mixes or classical symphonies. Everything else works a treat in my case, and has done so from the start.

I’ve had mine since Jan 5th has been a lot of fun. Setup went flawless and the sound beats my Marantz Ruby integrated. It really is a fabulous sounding integrated. I Also have a PrimaLuna Evo 300i, if I had to choose between the two it would be the Arcam it’s that good

1 Like

Sound is great. Never would I want to go on a journey to search for sound to my liking. Two quirks - some delay on digital section if you use internal DAC, needs to be placed outside any confined places to control the heat.

Otherwise, had it for almost 2 years, and as I said - sound is absolutely perfect.